Saturday, July 13, 2019

The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets by Molly Fader

The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets


I was given an ARC of this book from Netgalley. All opinions are my own. 

First off, the copy I received was a VERY rough copy. The text was super choppy and the title would randomly appear in the middle of the page, which was a bit annoying, but since I'm assuming that will be fixed before the final copy goes out (in three days!) that doesn't deter from my overall opinion of the book. 

The story starts with an older woman walking down the street holding a flare gun. She is stopped by a cop, and she tells him to call her daughter to come down and see her. Thus, the prodigal daughter, Lindy, returns. There is obviously some tension between Lindy and her younger sister Delia, but we don't find out until closer to the end of the book what caused them to separate and whether or not they will be able to fix things and be close like they used to, at least for their mother's sake. 

The character of Delia really resonated with me for a few different reasons. She is a mother to a teenager and a baby (I was a teen when my sister was born, so I vaguely remember what that was like) she suffered from post partum depression, and is trying to manage a family, a business, and care for her sickly mother all at the same time. Everyone keeps saying how she's changed, but all I can think is: the woman needs a nap! At the same time though, I felt sorry for Lindy because she was known as the "wild child" in a small town, and being from a small town myself, I know that no matter how far away and how long you go away for, you can't ever really escape the opinions people have of you when you're younger. 

All in all I enjoyed the story. I read it while waiting for the hurricane to hit (hasn't yet) and it kept me interested throughout. I needed to get to the end to find out what happened to those poor girls. Admittedly I had an idea of what it would be, but I wasn't 100% sure. 

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of writers like Nora Roberts. It has that same almost sweetness to it as far as the family goes, with just enough mystery and a little romance thrown in 


No comments:

Post a Comment