Monday, November 4, 2019

Our New Normal by Colleen Faulkner

Our New Normal
Cover Image From GoodReads


I was given an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are mine. 


Not going to lie, I picked this book up originally because I liked the aesthetics of the cover, and I'm a sucker for a teen pregnancy story. 20 percent in to the book I wanted to throw it. I HATED the way the main character's family treated her like she was crazy or like she was wrong for suggesting her daughter give her baby up for adoption. Everyone around her essentially gas lit her and made her feel awful, when she was RIGHT ALL ALONG. Her husband was made to be this perfect man, but frankly I thought he was a jerk who undermined her at every turn, and the best part of the book was when she left him. And the daughter? Don't even get me started. I was frustrated the whole time because the whole family was just horrible.


The grandfather was probably my favorite character, even though it was hard for me to read, having lost my own grandfather to dementia less than two months ago. It thoroughly bothered me that they all just assumed there was nothing wrong with him, and that he was "quirky" rather than him being a real adult with a terrifying and devastating disease. 

I finished this book because I felt like I had to. It was not my cup of tea, and I personally wouldn't recommend it, even though I know our library has purchased a copy or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment