Thursday, December 26, 2019

Child's Play by Danielle Steel

Child's Play
Cover Image from GoodReads

* I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.* 

As I've previously stated, I've read a ton of stuff by Ms. Steel, mainly because it's "fluff" for me. Her books are always things that don't necessarily make me think too hard, feel good type formulaic books that make me think of my grandma. Child's Play  wasn't that different. 

I will admit, I absolutely couldn't stand the main character in this book at first. I thought it was ridiculous that Kate would be so angry with her daughter because she didn't want to get married just because she was pregnant. This isn't the 1950s and personally I feel like you shouldn't try to force your child into a legally binding contract with someone that may not be good for them just because they accidentally got pregnant. People co-parent like adults all the time. 

When one of the children came out as gay, I immediately thought "oh man, if her reaction is anything like before, I'm going to have to cuss someone out", but Kate gains a shred of common decency and isn't homophobic and disgusting along with being misogynistic, so she's got that going for her. I didn't really understand the point of bringing her ex husband and the loss of her baby up, mainly because it was never really mentioned again. I did, however, enjoy the relationship between her and Scott, and getting to watch that unfold. Personally, I think the grandmother, Margaret, was my favorite character, because she seemed to be the one with the most sense. 

As far as DS books go, this one was a pretty typical one. HEA was included, storyline was similar to most of her other ones, and it was a fast easy read. I know it's already been published because I'm behind, but I already know patrons are going to lap it up like they do all of her other books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment