Monday, December 2, 2019

The Stranger Inside by Lisa Unger

The Stranger Inside by Lisa Unger








*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.*

I read some of the other reviews before I started mine, and I was sort of surprised to see that it had mixed reviews, considering I really liked it. But then again, I'm an oddball and the idea that a serial killer could be made based on psychological traumas that a person has endured is both terrifying and interesting to me.

Our main character, Rain, is one of those people who survived a trauma but never managed to forgive herself for being the one who survived. She was a child in a desperate situation and her body did the only thing it knew how to: it shut down. Because of that, one of her friends was killed and the other was tortured, leading him to become the dark and fascinating character I thought he was.

Rain has trouble letting go of her past and feels as though she needs to "tell her story", and the rest of the book is about how her story connects to other murders that are happening in their area. Rain also struggles with wanting to be a stay at home mom and needing to work to feel like she doesn't lose a part of herself (can 110% relate). All in all, I thought the characters were interesting, I enjoyed the way the story wrapped itself up in a pretty neat little bow, and even though I saw the twist coming, I liked it. Would definitely recommend to some of our psychological drama enjoying patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment