Tuesday, February 4, 2020

All About Evie by Cathy Lamb

All About Evie
Cover Image from GoodReads

I was given an eARC of this book in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own. 

I really wanted to like this book. The premise with the premonitions seemed right up my alley. And the life changing discovery about the past? I called about two chapters in. This book wouldn't have been quite so awful if the characters weren't all completely obnoxious. 

Evie- "Oh I love Marco but we can't be together for reasons I won't disclose to him". " I love him so much even though I avoid him at all costs and have never even been on a date with him because I flat out refuse all of his advances". And then there's the fact that she is super judgy to her customers in her bookstore, trying to force them to read what she wants them to read rather than what they would actually like. If this was the real world, and not book world, she wouldn't have a business. 

Evie's sister who's name I can't even remember. Every time they asked her what she liked about her husband all she could talk about was how he was in bed. I don't know if that was supposed to be a joke or if the author thinks that is all it really takes to make a relationship work, but no. 

Then there's the police officer. He was an over the top harasser.  I know that sort of thing does happen, but it was like the author tried way too hard to make this cop seem like the bad guy, and it ended up just being very cringe. 

All in all, I was hardly invested in the story and was just ready for it to be over. I don't know that I'll be recommending this one to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment