Monday, January 27, 2020

The Companion by Kim Taylor Blakemore

46157525
Cover Image from GoodReads

I was given an eARC of this book in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own. 

This one was a ride, folks! I started and finished it within a few hours, because I just could NOT put it down. You know that if I stayed up until midnight, it was a good book, because I like my sleep. It was a fairly easy read, maybe except for the flashbacks not necessarily being denoted. I had to try and figure out whether we were in the jail cell with Lucy or if we were hearing how she got there. It disoriented me a bit, but didn't take away from the story as a whole. 

I love historical fiction. And women murderers intrigue me, so this was right up my alley. At first I was fully convinced that Lucy was a murderer and that she was probably a sociopath, but as I got further in, I started to feel sorry for her. She was definitely an unreliable narrator, but like so many other women of her time, Lucy was stuck dealing with a life she was handed because of the things that men did to her, rather than any decisions she made on her own. 

This book definitely makes you think long and hard about the death penalty. Lucy is awaiting her own execution, which she knows will be by hanging. There are people who are trying to get her execution stayed, not because they think she is innocent (as a matter of fact one of the people working to keep her alive hated her), but because they do not think that women should be subjected to death, because they are women. I guess that's score one for women of the times? 

If women murderers and unreliable narrators are your thing, check this book out. It was published earlier this month, so it's available in stores and online!

No comments:

Post a Comment