Monday, March 30, 2020

We Wish You Luck by Caroline Zancan

We Wish You Luck
covere art from goodreads


*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own* 


Once again, I am a bit late with reviewing, since this book was published in January of this year, but c'est la vie. Full disclosure, I didn't really WANT to review this book. I keep thinking of  Thumper in Disney's Bambi: 
If you can't say nuffin' nice don't say nuffin' at all! - Thumper ...
Thumper :) 

And honestly I don't have a whole bunch to say about this. The book is about a group of graduate MFA students who don't like one of their teachers due to something they feel she has done to another classmate. So they ruin her life. None of the characters are really memorable or even likable, with the exception of Pearl, and only for me because I had a teacher like him, who I thoroughly enjoyed. 

The writing was pretty. But it seemed pretentious. The author seemed to string a ton of prose together but never really had a point to the story. I was damn near 60% into the book before SOMETHING happened and once it did I wasn't all that shocked. I was more surprised by the fact that a group of "adults" would behave this way. Honestly, I probably should have just DNF'd this one, but I've been doing that a lot lately so I stuck with it hoping for some payoff, since I was really interested in the synopsis, however that payoff just wasn't there. 

Ce n'est pas it chief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment