Monday, March 30, 2020

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

Such a Fun Age
Cover Art from GoodReads



*I was given an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own*


Okay, so you know how in the Am I The A**hole forum on Reddit there's an option that says Everyone Sucks Here? That's sort of how I felt about most of these characters. Alex was awful without realizing that she was awful. Throughout the book you kind of KNOW she's not a great person,but you don't really find out the extent of it until later on. 

Then there's Kelly. He doesn't seem that bad either, but the more you go on the more toxic he becomes as well. He sort of skeeved me out from the beginning though. 

Emira was literally the ONLY redeemable person in this book to me. I think the author meant for this to be the case though. You're not necessarily supposed to like Kelly or Alex. Essentially those characters represent some of the different attitudes that white people can have toward people of color, where they come off as racist without meaning to or realizing it. Doesn't mean they aren't offensive, both just chose not to learn to do better. 

Honestly the children in the story had my sympathy the most. This book was somewhat difficult to read because the topic is such a sensitive one (especially for a white girl who lives in the south where racism is still rampant). We want to bury our heads in the sand and act like this isn't something to worry about, but it most definitely is, and Reid tackles some tough topics in a brilliant way. 

Would definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment