Thursday, June 6, 2019

I'm Not Dying With You Tonight by Kimberly Jones & Gilly Segal

I'm Not Dying with You Tonight


**I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley. My opinions are my own. **

It took me longer than I would have liked to finish this book, mostly because it was a book that I felt I needed to devote my attention to, and with a sick baby I didn't have the time to read it like I would have wanted. With the amount of racial tension that is still occurring in America today, I thought this book did a great job of handling the topic in an interesting but educational way. 

The story is told in alternating points of view between Lena, a young black girl, and Campbell, a young white girl. While at a football game, the girls get caught in a shooting that incites a riot. Neither of them truly has a way to escape, so they decide to stick together and try to make it to Lena's boyfriend, so that he can take them home safely. Throughout the night they both learn things about themselves and about each other. They do not trust one another, barely know one another, but have to work together in order to survive. Each girl sees people of her own race, that she knows well, behave in ways she didn't think they were capable of. 

They both make it home safely, but the reader is left knowing that these two girls' lives are changed forever, and wondering if there is a friendship building between the two girls. I for one was impressed with the writing and the way the topic was handled. We all have our misconceptions of people and this book proves that sometimes it's the people you least expect that you need in your lives the most. I could see this book being turned into a movie, and would definitely recommend it to some of our YA readers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment