Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Life of Death by Lucy Booth

The Life of Death


I was given an ARC of this book from NetGalley. The opinions of this book are mine. 

I saw the ending to this one coming, but it didn't make it suck any less. (I mean the ending, not the book itself. It was rather good). 

Our main character, Lizzie, trades her soul to the Devil to keep from dying when she is burned at the stake for a witch. In exchange for his help, she works with Him to ease peoples' transitions into death. To do this, she essentially turns into the person they love most, and comforts them until they cross over. The problem is that Lizzie falls in love and wants to return to Earth to be with him. In order to do this she makes a deal with the Devil. 

Of course, being the Devil, there's a twist to his game. I won't go into any more detail than that because it would ruin the book, but it made me mad. I knew it was going to happen that way, but I didn't like it. I was also icked out by the kidnapping/near murder of a child. I have been listening to way too many true crime podcasts lately, and it bothered me a lot. I almost didn't finish the book because I just couldn't handle that. I understand why it was written, because each of the deaths that Lizzie has to accomplish get harder and more thought provoking than the last, but it was tough. 

While reading this I was reminded a bit of my English classes in college when we were reading literature from the first half of American history. Between the imagery of the Devil, and Death, along with the whole "be careful what you wish for" lesson that the book gives, it had a ton of old school English vibes, which I actually enjoyed. 

All in all this was a quick read that made me think about things I might not necessarily have wanted to. It begs the question, how far would you go to get what you wanted? 

No comments:

Post a Comment