Sunday, January 5, 2020

Against the Rules by Laura Heffernan

Against the Rules by Laura Heffernan
Cover Art From GoodReads

*I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.*

So, this book has already been published. I believe it hit the shelves some time in October, but I'm too lazy to go back and look to be sure. I am super behind on my reviews, as per usual, but I'm workin' on it!
Also want to point out, because the description from NetGalley didn't, this is the second book in a series. It wasn't super confusing not having read the first one, but there were references made to the couple that the first book was about that of course I didn't understand. Didn't take away from the over all quality of the book.

Alright, so here we go. Our main character, Holly, has sworn off men after her ex not only cheated on her, he embezzled all of their money and tried to implicate her in his crimes. Can't really say I blame her at that point, but her best friend, Gwen, is encouraging her to get back into the dating scene. What Gwen doesn't know though, is that Holly has a crush on someone already-- Gwen's dad.

The premise was a bit odd to me, mainly because I didn't have friends with hot dads, so that wasn't ever a thought in my head, but I liked the inclusion of board game play and I actually really enjoyed the relationship between Holly and Nathan. There was a bit of a love triangle, but it was super obvious where the whole thing was going.

All in all, this was a CUTE, easy read. Little bit of sex, not enough to make my grandma blush, but enough to maybe not let your preteen read the book. We don't have this series in our library but I would be interested in reading both the first and the third books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment