Monday, April 13, 2020

The Wife and the Widow by Christian White

Cover Art from GoodReads

* I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.*

Ever read one of those books where you think you know how it's going to end, but then the script is flipped and it turns out to be something entirely different? That's how The Wife and the Widow  was for me. When it started, I was hooked, and needed to know how these people fit together, because I knew that somehow they did; however; I was NOT expecting it to go down the way it did. 

Our story is told in alternating perspectives, between Kate, who's husband has recently passed away, and Abby, who's husband is not all that he seems. There seems to be a story inside of a story, which I really enjoyed. I found myself sympathizing with Abby throughout the story, even at the end when her character seems almost nonredeemable-- a parent's love can make them do some crazy things. Even Kate stuck with me, a grieving wife who just wanted to understand her husband in a way she couldn't during the course of his life. Lately I've been fond of the alternating perspectives in books, and this one was no exception. I think it added more to the story than if we just got Abby's or just got Kate's side of the story. The two are too tied together to NOT tell both. 

This wasn't a difficult read, but it did take me a while to get through, just because I was doing a million other things and didn't have the time to devote to it that I wanted. I did stay up late finishing it though, and most days I'll choose sleep over a book, so that's saying something. The Wife and the Widow  was published in January of this year, and should be available at bookstores and your local libraries. I would highly suggest it for suspense lovers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment