Thursday, May 9, 2019

Dumped, Actually by Nick Spalding

Dumped, Actually
Cover Art From GoodReads




*I am grateful to have been given this book as an ARC from NetGalley. All opinions are mine.*


Not gonna lie, when I first started this book I was NOT impressed with it. I almost DNF'd it because I wasn't sure I would have anything good to say. The main character, Ollie, gets dumped by his girlfriend and complains about not understanding why because he is such a "nice guy". I HATE the nice guy routine, and I sort of thought he was a wimp, rather than being a romantic hero. I also knew going in that there were going to be a few cringe worthy moments (he writes a column asking how to get over his ex and follows people's advice and of course hilarity ensues), and I don't necessarily like reading/watching things where people get embarrassed. I always feel second hand embarrassment for them rather than enjoying it. I was surprised the further in that I got into the book though, I was enjoying Ollie's story and found him to be a rather pleasant and lovable character, a genuine "nice" guy if not a bit too needy for my own tastes. Toward the end I couldn't put the book down and stayed up late last night in order to finish it. It sort of reminded me of a "Shopaholic" era Sophie Kinsella novel; entertaining and just plain CUTE. 



No comments:

Post a Comment