Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Last Look by Lauren Eckhardt

The Last Look





*I am grateful to have been given this book as an ARC from NetGalley. All opinions are mine.*

I finished this book in four hours. I had to. Couldn't put it down. Even still, it took me a bit of time to be able to formulate exactly what I thought about it. I know that I definitely had a Josh of my own (I think most of us do) and while my heart went out to Haleigh, I also wanted to climb through the book and shake her. I don't know why she married him in the first place, because I didn't feel like she really loved him. I think she wanted to, but I don't think she really did. I also thought her reaction to his secret was a bit hypocritical. I am usually a sucker for a happy ending, but I felt like this book needed the ending it got. Sometimes women need to be able to be on their own, and Haleigh was definitely one of them, especially after everything she'd been through. All in all, I enjoyed the book. It wasn't a hard read but it was a difficult one, especially if you've been in Haleigh's place (which I have). It frustrated me a bit when her friend said that she "approved" of Josh, but later on in the relationship she says "I never liked him, I don't understand why you stayed". I know people like that with my own relationships and I don't know if the author intended for that to happen to show how peoples' attitudes can change when a relationship goes sour, or if she just genuinely forgot that she had the character say that. Either way, if you hated him you hated him, if you liked him just own it--keep the same energy!

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment