Monday, May 20, 2019

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler

Cover image for The Summer of Chasing Mermaids
Cover Image From Goodreads



Elyse moves to America from Tobago after an accident that caused her to lose her voice. She meets and befriends Christian Kane, resident playboy, and agrees to help him win a sailing contest in order to save the town they live in. 

This was a perfect beach read, if only I was at the beach! I absolutely loved the main character, Elyse, and had a bit of a crush on Christian as well. I also enjoyed the mermaid lore within the story, because I've always been fascinated with the ideas of mermaids. I liked that there was a bit of mystery behind how Elyse lost her voice, and until she explains why (toward the end of the book) I wouldn't have figured it out. I read so many thrillers that I've put together halfway through the book that it was nice to not have to think about the mystery and just be told the answer. I wasn't overly enthused with the instalove (never am) but the relationship between the couple was believable enough. The descriptions of the beach and the way the main character feels about her home island, Tobago, made me want to visit there someday. I could feel the love she had for her home and her family, despite being separated from them and despite the pain she felt from her accident. It really made me think about what I would do if I ever lost my voice. Honestly I don't know how I would function on a daily basis. I hated that the ending was so open, because I tend to like my books wrapped up in a pretty little bow, but I'd like to think that she and her twin sister made up and that she and Christian got their HEA. 

4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment