Saturday, May 25, 2019

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Little Earthquakes



At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read this. I've read a few of Weiner's other novels and enjoyed them, but I don't typically like to read fiction that is similar to my own life. I read to get out of my own head, and so a book about moms isn't exactly that big of a stretch from my own life. I did read it though, and will say that I enjoyed it. I was able to finish this in a day at work, which is typical for me with chick lit books, especially on a slow day. 

I know how hard it is as a new mom to make friends and these girls were lucky to have found each other. Kelly was probably the mom I related to the most, with Becky (and her mother in law issues) coming in a close second. I liked that these women were real, with real problems rather than just being the typical I can do it all I can have it all type of mom we tend to see in chick lit. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like she's failing sometimes. I like the fact that you see women from different walks of life bonding because sometimes the best of friends don't have anything in common, and it's those differences that allow us to look on someone's situation and give them a different perspective from one that they may not necessarily have had before. 

The storyline itself kept me hooked. I wanted to know what was going to happen with each character although there was so much switching between them I would somewhat forget what I last read about that person because it had been a while since I heard from them. Not a total issue, but maybe the book would have been better had she had one or two of the ladies telling the stories rather than all six of them. Five of them. I don't know. Either way, am I going to read more of Weiner's work? Yep. 

3 out of 5 stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment