Wednesday, May 29, 2019

How She Died, How I Lived by Mary Crockett

How She Died, How I Lived



I was originally drawn to this book because of the title, but then when I read the description I immediately thought "yup, gotta read that one". All in all, I liked it, but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Kinda like ordering a red snowcone thinking it was cherry and getting strawberry instead-- still good just not what you wanted. The premise of the story is that the narrator (who's name we never find out) and three other girls are all texted by the same guy on the same day. One of them goes to meet him, and she gets raped and murdered. As expected, the narrator goes through a ton of survival guilt. She also hooks up with the dead girl's boyfriend, which increased the ick factor for me to about 100%. 

The other part of this that bothered me did so on a completely personal level, and if you're not a big believer in the death penalty, you probably won't feel the same way I did. I hated how she treated Charlie when he said that he wanted revenge for losing his girlfriend, and that he wasn't ever going to forgive her murderer. She essentially told him he was wrong and acted like he was an evil person for feeling this way. After losing someone he loved, he had every right to feel the way he did, to be angry and want to lash out at the person who caused his pain. The author could have done so much more with that and she botched it. To each his own but the narrator's holier than thou "I forgave him so you should too" attitude was a definite turn off for me, and had it not been toward the end of the book anyway I would have DNF'd. 

2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment