Saturday, May 25, 2019

Long Live the Beautiful Hearts by Emma Scott


Long Live the Beautiful Hearts (Beautiful Hearts, #2)
cover art from GoodReads

*I am grateful to have been given this book as an ARC from NetGalley. All opinions are mine.*

I just want to start out by saying that I devoured this book. After reading the first one, I could NOT put the second one down until I knew what was going to happen to the two boys. And let me tell you, this book did NOT disappoint. I was a bit surprised that it took so long for Autumn to find out that it was Weston who was writing to her, not Connor, but once she did she forgave them both a lot faster than I would have. But I'm the type of person who holds grudges and doesn't give second chances, so there's that. I am a bit sad that there won't be a third book in the series, but I think that Ms. Scott did a good job of wrapping up the duology and giving the characters the futures that they deserved. Once again, the writing was beautiful and the characters were just so heartfelt and real that I couldn't help but feel for them. I also liked that even though this was a spin on the Cyrano story (which I mentioned in my first review) that the "problem" for lack of a better word, with Weston wasn't the fact that he couldn't walk, it was his attitude toward himself that made him feel like he didn't deserve love. His injury was a second thought, which for a lot of veteran's isn't an option. I love that Autumn loved him in spite of it, because a lot of veterans and their significant others struggle with navigating a relationship after life changing injuries. 

I was really impressed with the fact that Ms. Scott brought up the way we treat people with physical disabilities. It is a very uncomfortable topic for a lot of people because no one wants to be the one to say something offensive or to hurt anyone's feelings. In doing so, however, we can make people that are differently abled feel like they are less than. It is something I work on every day in my own personal life. Even though I like my cheesy romances to be just that, it's kinda surprising and nice when one of them makes me think a little bit more.

I also did a little research into Ms. Scott's personal life after reading her note about why she wasn't continuing with the series, and my heart absolutely goes out to her. To be able to face such tragedy and create something so absolutely amazing makes this series a little more heartbreaking and a whole lot more special. I applaud her for continuing to create. 

5 out of 5 stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment