Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

Pretty Things
Cover Art From Goodreads


*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own.* 

I've had this one on my TBR pile for a while, and I heard about it quite a bit at PLA, so I was pretty excited to read it. Not to mention, the cover just drew me in. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype for me. Not that it was a bad book, it just didn't keep me enthralled like I thought I would. 

The premise of the story is that Nina and her boyfriend decide to pull off a massive scam in order to pay for healthcare for Nina's dying mother (who, conveniently taught her everything she knows about scamming people). Her victim: Vanessa, the clueless sister of Nina's high school boyfriend. The story is somewhat told in alternating points of view between Vanessa and Nina, and honestly both women kind of suck. It's hard to feel sorry for anyone in this book because they're all pretty awful in their own ways. 

Nina chose to scam Vanessa because her parents treated Nina badly when they found out she was sleeping with their son. The whole book was based on teenage revenge/angst and it didn't feel like enough of a reason to me to ruin the girl's life. But Vanessa wasn't exactly a peach either. I feel like I knew what was going to happen long before the book ended, and that sort of took the fun out of it for me. 

All in all it's not an awful book, and I would definitely try more of Brown's work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment