Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz

The Grace Kelly Dress
Cover art from GoodReads

*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review. All opinions are mine*

I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did! The story is told from three different points of view, Rose- a dressmaker in the 50s, Joanie- a bride in the 80s, and Rocky- a modern day bride. Each of these women has a connection to a particular dress; a dress that was a carbon copy of the one that Grace Kelly wore for her wedding to Prince Ranier. 

Once I started, I couldn't put this book down, because I was just enthralled with all three women and their stories. I was able to sympathize with all of them, but Rocky in particular because she felt like in order to make her mother happy she was unable to have the wedding that she wanted. She felt as though her sister was the beloved one, and she couldn't compete-- and I think that's something we all struggle with at one time or another. I love historical fiction, and at first I thought this book was going to focus on Grace Kelly herself, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this wasn't the case, and each time period was distinguishable from the others, which can be hard to do when you're switching between three different perspectives. I could kind of see this being turned into a Hallmark movie, with less cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment