Tuesday, May 19, 2020

The Roxy Letters by Mary Pauline Lowry

The Roxy Letters
Cover Art From GoodReads

When I saw the blurb comparing this novel to Bridget Jones' Diary,I was instantly intrigued. I can see why it was labeled that way, because the main character, Roxy, has a lot of the same temperament as Bridget, and (in my opinion) is just as likable.  

Roxy, the heroine, is an artist who makes ends meet by working at Whole Foods and renting out an extra room in her house to her ex boyfriend, Everett. She tells her story through letters that she is writing to Everett (not exactly a diary, but similar because she doesn't always send them to him- or doesn't send any of them, I'm not really sure on that one). She talks about her sex life (or lack there-of), the horrible men she dates, and her creeptastic boss, along with giving us insight in to her best friends and her underwear eating dog. Yes, it's as kitschy and chick-lit as it sounds. 

My only real complaint was the frequent use of the word "grrrrl" in any capacity. I know that the book was set in 2012, but I'm pretty sure no one in their late 20s was using that term. I know that at 22 I sure wasn't. But again, that's just me being petty because that phrase has always annoyed me. Grrrl problems aside, this was a funny, easy read that I would recommend to fans of Jennifer Weiner's or even Jane Green's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment